Saturday, August 16, 2008

An Outdoor Wedding in Blue & White




Three years ago, I was out for dinner with my husband. While waiting for the salad, I began discussing something about cake decorating. Our waitress happened to hear me and asked if I did cakes. I told her that I did decorate cakes and that I happened to have a photo of the one I'd just made for my son's 16th birthday. She liked it so much that she ordered a Valentine's day cake on the spot--little did she know, that cake would be my first donation/paid cake!

Fast forward to July, 2008. Out of the blue, she calls me to make a wedding cake for her mother! I couldn't believe that she would think of me after over 3 years (I'd always thought she wasn't too impressed with the first cake because I hadn't heard from her :), let alone be able to find my phone number after all that time.

There were no specific requests for this cake--just a stacked cake with some baby blue flowers.

I made the flower covered entwined heart topper using a floral wire armature wrapped in gum paste. I applied the blue and white dusted gum paste flowers using royal icing.

The 3 tiers were french vanilla cake with strawberry filling and buttercream icing.

The bride was so very happy with her cake--I got a big hug!