Sunday, May 15, 2011

A Cheeky Monkey gets a Cheeky Monkey Cake!


Well, life comes full circle! I started making cakes when my eldest son asked for a soccer ball cake for his 7th birthday. I didn't really go beyond "star fill-in" cakes until my youngest son was turning 16--6 years ago. Now, I'm making birthday cakes for my grandson.

These 2 cakes flew from Cleveland, OH to Austin, TX in an overhead bin, arriving just as you see them. They were designed to coordinate with the "Mod Monkey" line of paper goods.
The large cake (served 20) is covered in fondant with a chocolate fondant monkey face on top.
The smash cake is done in buttercream so that the little guy wouldn't have to worry about breaking
through, or chewing, fondant.

Both cakes were chocolate with banana mousse filling and vanilla buttercream icing.
Connor was a blue mess after diving into his little, personal cake, but he sure had a lot of fun!