Sunday, January 8, 2012

Kailey is a Rock Star!

I was asked by Icing Smiles (icingsmiles.org)--a non-profit group that organizes special cakes for chronically ill children and their families--to make a cake for Kailey's 9th birthday.  She recently completed her chemo and was having a dance party for her big day.  She's a Justin Bieber fan, too.
I used several techniques to create the handpainted, EDIBLE, "photo" of Kailey and her music idol.  Her mom planned to keep it for her after the party.
For her cake, I used an image from the party invitations to create a custom flying Z guitar cake (strawberry cake with vanilla buttercream) to serve 20.  The neck of the guitar is fondant covered foamcore with individually extruded strings.
I used her favorite colors of green and hot pink and added a bright green boa as a fun accent trim.  When I delivered the cake, her mom showed me the feather boas that Kailey had chosen for her guest to use while dancing.  I couldn't believe it--we must have been on the same wavelength!
Kailey and her family were delighted by the cake and I loved the experience.  I look forward to working with Icing Smiles whenever possible.