Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A Hot Time in Texas!

In August, I was fortunate to be able to combine 2 things that I really love into one, week-long trip to Austin, TX--an extended visit with my adorable 5 month old grandson, Connor, and his parents  AND 6 days of classes plus the Capital Confectioner's Day of Sharing with British cake artist, Stephen Benison!

The first set of classes produced this amazing black and white beauty.  The intricate side appliques are all hand cut, but applied in a grouping so that each design is identical.  The butterfly is meant to look like it's getting ready to take off................We used an array of cutters in a variety of unusual ways to create designs.


The second set of classes was making a floral spray, shoes, and handbags.



My third class with Stephen involved making a sampler cake using many of his original cutters and topping it with a handcut magnolia blossom with stylized petals.

So much work done in 5 days, but so many amazing ideas and techniques to show for it!  I had a wonderful time and hope that I can do it again.