Wednesday, September 8, 2010

ICES 2010--Hangin' 10 in San Diego!

My annual convention for the International Cake Exploration Societe (ICES)  was held in San Diego, CA in August.  George and I carried 2 small cakes on the plane for display in the Cake Shack.  They wound up being THE representatives for OH.

The birdhouse cake was done in a class with Lisa M. Hook in Michigan last summer.  All of the river rocks covering it are hand modeled.
The blue square cake is done in the style of Nirvana using royal icing panels for the sides.  The daisies are fondant.


I also took 2 hands on classes while in San Diego.  The first was a carved and airbrushed shark cake class taught by Mike Elder, the 3 time winner of the Ultimate Cake Challenge on TLC.  Great teacher and fun class.  He wasn't as mean as he looks................Mike or my shark!

My second class was making tropical flowers from modeling chocolate.  It was pretty warm and humid, so I wasn't happy with the results, but I got the idea!

I could also include the HUNDREDS of pics I took of the magnificent roses that were growing everywhere at the resort, but I won't.  It was a fantastic time to be in San Diego and while I played, George was able to help gather a few more goodies for the WLM.  All in all, a wonderful trip.